Old Governemnt House, Parramatta, is the oldest remaining public building in Australia, and together with its site, one of the most historic. Its history traces back to within a few months of the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in January 1788 and is closely associated with all the early Governors of New South Wales, prior to the granting of responsible government in 1856. The house also contains a major collection of Australian colonial furniture.
The Friends of Old Government House & Experiment Farm Cottage was formed as a fund raising body to help maintain the House and its collection through social occasions, informative lecture, and exhibitions. The proceeds from these events assist in the maintenance of the property.
The Friends Committee is made up of dedicated volunteers who are interested in our colonial history and educating the public about the interesting people and events of the time.
Nominations to join the Committee can be made prior to the Annual General Meeting, which is held in November each year. Committee members must be financial members of the National Trust of Australia (NSW). There are also casual vacancies for volunteers to assist with fund-rasing events, which can be filled at any time.